Put the confidence back in your smile
At Fixodent, the brand famous for its denture adhesive range, we understand that your smile is a unique reflection of your personality, and one of the key visual signifiers by which you communicate with the world around you. Natural-looking false teeth shouldn’t compromise this. In fact, once you’ve got the perfect fit and made the adjustment and chosen your denture adhesive cream, your new dentures will be able to sustain your smile for years to come.
However, we appreciate that until you’re fully comfortable with your new dentures, it’s possible to feel like your smile isn’t your own. Similar to how a tiny ulcer inside your mouth might feel huge to your tongue, you may feel that your new dentures are shouting ‘false teeth’ to people when in fact they’re hardly noticeable, if at all.
Tips for a perfect denture smile
- Choose together. Ask a loved one whose opinion you value to accompany you when you are having new dentures made. They’ll help you select natural looking dentures that best recreate your original smile.
A good tip is to avoid dazzling white teeth and go for a colour that looks slightly more worn and natural – it’ll stop you sporting a highly conspicuous false denture smile.
- A right mouthful. The sensation of having new dentures that feel too big for your mouth is a common one, especially in the first few weeks or a month after fitting. You may even feel as though your lips are being pushed outwards by your dentures. You may notice it but most people are highly unlikely to, so don’t worry or allow this to dent your confidence. Again, if discomfort fails to subside after a month or so, you should consult your dentist to ensure you don’t need to have your dentures refitted.
- First get the right fit. If your smile has changed, it may take a little time to get used to it. But if you’re not convinced that your smile looks natural, and it has something to do with the fit, visit your dentist. Point out any specific areas that are causing you concern or discomfort and ask your dentist to adjust and refit them to improve your smile and comfort.
- Fixodent your smile. One of the most common causes of worry for new denture wearers is that their teeth might slip in public. Our denture adhesive is specially formulated to eliminate this concern by securely holding your dentures in place, cushioning them for total comfort and a more confident smile.
- Take good care. New dentures are not indestructible. Like real teeth, natural looking false teeth are just as susceptible to the effects of smoking, food getting trapped between them and being stained by drinks – especially tea and coffee. To keep your new dentures looking their best, stick to a regular denture care routine.
Make-up as usual
Just because you have new dentures, it doesn’t mean you need to change your make-up routine – quite the opposite, in fact.
If you suddenly change your make-up and drop your signature shade of lipstick, friends are more likely to notice something is different. This might draw attention to the smile you may still be feeling self-conscious about. Of course, once you’re completely at ease with your new natural looking dentures, you may then want to show off your wonderful new smile by drawing attention to it with bright, bold new shades.
Whatever makes you feel good about yourself will help you show off your confidence as well as your natural new smile.
More information: Taking Care of your Dentures