Denture wearers are everywhere! For instance, there might be one sitting next to you! And most probably, at one time or another, they will have faced some issues with their dentures. So if you feel something isn’t going well with your dentures, relax, because the issue is more common than you think. That’s why Fixodent is here to help. We’ve made a list of the top 5 denture problems with their solution:
- Too much saliva: Your mouth is hosting a new foreign object so it’s normal for your salivary glands to work in overdrive. They’ll gradually adjust but in the meantime, try swallowing more, maybe even help yourself with a mint or hard candy (sweet).
- Soreness: A very common problem occurring within hours of wearing dentures. Try rinsing your mouth with warm salt water, or, you can benefit from a denture adhesive that will help prevent denture movement to reduce irritation and sore spots.
- “Full mouth” feeling: At the beginning of your denture experience, you might feel as if they are too big or that your lips are being pushed forward. Wear your dentures as much as possible so that the muscles in your mouth “learn” how to keep them in place.
- Slipping dentures: Your lip, cheek and tongue muscles are fighting to push your dentures out of your mouth. Keep it in place with a denture adhesive cream.
- Dentures no longer fitting: Dentures rest on gum tissue and your jawbone, which deteriorate and shrink over time. If your dentures feel loose after some time, visit your dentist. Maybe it’s time for an adjustment or a new set of replacement dentures.
As you can see, dentures present some challenges at first but rest assured that all of them can be overcome with a positive attitude, some expert tips and a few drabs of Fixodent adhesive.